Hollow core covering slabs are characterized with possibility to be used in the situations with increased spans and/or loading, guaranteeing significant reduction of the time of work execution on the construction site and excluding necessity of application of additional supports as it’s fully self-bearing.
The product is widely used in realization of covering elements in industrial, commercial, civil and residential construction.
Application of hollow core covering slabs has the following advantages:
- it allows covering of significant spans and bearing increased loading;
- owing to its significant strength, the thickness of the covering can be reduced;
- the slab is fully self-bearing and, thus, additional supports are not needed;
- it can be quickly installed, people can walk on the installed surface immediately;
- in the majority of cases, it is enough to seal the longitudinal seams, which minimizes the expenses related to installation;
- the internal surface of the covering is completely smooth: such surface can be left as it is or just painted;
- there can be executed covering, which requires fire resistance for any period of dangerous impact;
- high quality of concrete guarantees high stability of a structure;
- observing rules of application and installation of hollow core covering slabs guarantees high level of safety during works on the construction site.
A structure consists of slabs, with openings, of vebropressed concrete the R’ck strength of which is more than 50N/mm2; physical-mechanical characteristics are controlled at the laboratory of the producing plant.
While significant loading and in seismic zones, it is necessary to consider two options of installation of the covering made of hollow core slabs. In the first case, it is necessary to grout slab side ends with the concrete with the strength, not less, than R’ck 30N/mm2 and install additional enforcement, where it is calculated the necessary number of hackings for accommodation of reinforcement, their length (up to three hacking per end), size and diameter of inner reinforcement of the supports. The additional reinforcement shall be installed while concrete casting, according to the hackings and concrete diaphragm between adjacent slabs. Besides, in compliance with paragraph 7.0.а. of the Eurocode, it is necessary to consider lower additional reinforcement for supports, equal to the hacking, which will be able to accept the tensile load.